Hot Vegetarian Vegan Hors d'oeuvre Starter
Accompaniment Appetiser Dairy Free Eggless
2 tbsp Baking
Salt and Black
Cold Carbonated Water
Vegetable oil for
1. Wash the aubergines then cut in slices about 1cm/ 1/2 inch thick. Place in
layers in a colander, sprinkling each layer with a little salt. Cover with a
plate and leave for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the deep fryer to 190C, 375F.
3. Place the flours, baking powder and water in a large mixing bowl, season
with plenty of salt and black pepper and mix until blended. Do not over mix:
there should still little lumps of flour left as this adds to the texture of the
4. Rinse the aubergine slices under cold running water and dry well. Coat
with a little flour then dip into the batter.
5. Deep fry in batches, for 1-2 minutes only until lightly golden brown and
crispy. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve immediately. If serving as a starter,
serve with a dipping sauce.