1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and place 12 heart shaped
silicone cases onto a baking tray. You can also use ordinary paper cases or
a cupcake tin.
2. Place all the cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat together
with a wooden spoon, electric hand whisk or in a bowl food processor, until
3. Divide the cake mixture between the moulds, filling to about 2/3rds,
level the tops with a small spoon or spatula and bake for 15 - 20 minutes
until well risen and firm to the touch. If using silicone moulds it's easier
to remove the cakes from the moulds whilst they are still hot. Allow the
cakes to cool completely on a wire rack before filling/decorating.
4. Meanwhile, make the butter icing, place the butter in a large mixing bowl
and beat with a wooden spoon until very soft then pass the strawberries
through a large sieve onto the butter and mix briefly. Discard the pulp and
5. Sift in the icing sugar and beat with a wooden spoon until well blended
and very smooth. Set aside until you are ready to assemble the cakes but do
not refrigerate as the mixture will "set" and be more difficult to pipe.
6. Cut each cupcake in half horizontally as you would a layered sponge
sandwich, spread with a little strawberry jam then replace the top.
7. Pipe or spread the butter icing onto the top of each cake.