1. Place the milk, cream , melted chocolate, cocoa powder and vanilla in a
saucepan and heat, stirring from time to time, until almost boiling.
2. Place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk until the mixture is pale.
Using an electric whisk is much quicker and easier. It will take a couple of
3. Once hot, slowly pour the cream mixture over the egg yolk mixture, stirring
constantly until well blended.
4. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring
constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the
back of the spoon.
5. Remove from the heat, strain into a jug and allow to cool completely.
6. Once cold, pour into an ice-cream maker and freeze-churn according to the
manufacturer's instructions – usually 25 – 35 minutes.
Alternatively transfer the mixture to a freezer-proof rigid
box, cover and freeze for about 2 hours until the mixture starts to freeze.
Remove from the freezer and beat or whisk well to break up the ice crystals then
re-cover and return to the freezer until completely frozen.
7. After the churning time, transfer to a rigid freezer proof box and freeze
until ready to serve.