A Recipes4us.co.uk Production
cooking time: 25 minutes
For the tomato sauce
1 x 400g/14oz tin Chopped Tomatoes
½ teasp Sugar
1 tbsp Tomato Paste
1 tbsp Freshly chopped Parsley
1 tbsp Freshly chopped Basil
Salt and Black Pepper
For the Base
200g/7oz Self Raising Flour
¼ teasp Salt
1 tbsp Olive Oil
Approx 90ml/3fl.oz. Warm Water
For the topping
125g/5oz Grated Cheese - a mix of Mozzarella and Cheddar
Other toppings of your choice such as
Thin slices of Pepperoni
Thinly sliced Onion
Thinly sliced Capsicum (Sweet peppers)
Olives, stoned and halved
Extra cheese e.g. finely grated Parmesan
1. Before you start preparing your ingredients, preheat the oven to 220C,
425F, Gas Mark 7.
2. Place the tinned tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste and herbs in a medium si
saucepan or frying pan, season with salt and plenty of black pepper and
bring to the boil over a high heat, stirring to mix well. Continue to cook
over a high heat, stirring frequently, to reduce to a thick consistency.
3. Meanwhile, make the base by placing the flour, salt, olive oil and water
in a large mixing bowl. Mix well with a knife until a dough starts to form
then pull together with your fingers, adding a very little more water if
necessary to form a firm dough.
4. Knead the dough in the bowl for a couple of minutes then turn onto a
floured surface and continue to knead for a further 3-4 minutes until you
have a firm elastic dough.
5. Check the tomato sauce and reduce the heat if necessary. Roll the
dough out using a lightly floured rolling pin to a thickness of about
6mm/¼-inch and place on a large baking tray. If you prefer, you can divide
the dough into two pieces and roll each out as above.
6. By now, the tomatoes will have rendered down into a thick mixture.
Spread it evenly over the dough. If you are using raw onion slices, scatter
evenly over the tomato mixture then top with the grated cheese.
7. Finally, arrange the remaining toppings, spacing evenly over the cheese
and bake in the hot oven for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.
9. Drizzle with a little extra olive oil and serve immediately.