A Recipes4us.co.uk Production
Pumpkin Pie with Maple Cream
Prep & Cooking time: 90mins plus cooling
Makes 1 x 18cm/7-inch pie (serves 4)
675g/1½;b Fresh Pumpkin
250g/9oz Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
90ml/3fl.oz. Double Cream
75g/3oz Brown Sugar
1 teasp Ground Cinnamon
½ teasp Ground Ginger
¼ teasp ground Cloves
For the Maple Cream
240ml/8fl.oz. Double or Whipping Cream
1½ tbsp Maple Syrup (or more to taste)
1. Do not peel. Wash the pumpkin well then cut into wedges, remove the seeds
and stringy bits then place in a large saucepan of water, bring to the boil
and cook for about 15 minutes until very tender.
2. Preheat the oven to 190C, 375F, Gas Mark 5. Once cooked remove the
pumpkin from the pan with a slotted spoon, shaking off as much water as
possible, then allow to cool.
3. Meanwhile, roll the pastry out to about 6mm/¼-inch thickness and use to
line a flan tin. Prink the base several times with a fork then line with
parchment paper, fill with baking beans and bake for 15 minutes.
4. Whilst the pastry is baking, make the filling. Cut the pumpkin flesh away
from the skin (discard the skin) and process the flesh into a smooth
purée in a food processor,
blenders or with a hand blender. Alternatively,
mash with a fork and pass through a sieve.
5. Place the purée in a large mixing bowl together with the eggs, sugar,
cream and spices and mix until well blended.
6. Remove the pastry case from the oven (leave the oven on) remove the beans
and paper then fill with the pumpkin mixture. Place on a baking sheet,
return to the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until just set.
7. Meanwhile, make the maple cream by placing the cream in a mixing bowl and
whisking until very thick.
8. Add the maple syrup and stir to blend well. Refrigerate until ready to
9. At the end of the cooking time, remove the pie from the oven, allow to
cool in the tin then refrigerate until ready to serve.
10. Serve the pie cold with a dollop of maple cream.