A Recipes4us.co.uk Production
Leek, Potato & Caerphilly Bake Recipe
cooking time: 90 minutes
Serves 2 as a side dish
2 Medium Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
75g/3oz Welsh Caerphilly Cheese, grated
1 Large Leek, well washed and thinly sliced (including the green part)
Salt and Black Pepper
A little extra grated Caerphilly Cheese to finish the dish
1. Preheat the oven to 190C, 375F, Gas mark 5 and well butter a relatively
deep ovenproof dish.
2. Place a single layer of potatoes in the bottom of the buttered
dish, sprinkle over a little of the cheese, top with a single layer of leeks
and season well with salt and black pepper.
3. Continue with these layers until all the ingredients are used up, ending
with a layer of potatoes - remembering to reserve 1-2 tablespoons of the
grated cheese for later use.
4. Dot the top with butter, pour over the milk then cover with a
double layer of aluminium foil and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes.
5. Remove the foil, test for doneness using a sharp knife. The potatoes
should be soft however depending on how thickly you sliced the potatoes, it
may need a further 15-20 minutes covered baking.
6. Once the potatoes are cooked, sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top
of the potatoes and return to the oven for 15-20 minutes until the cheese
has melted and is golden brown. Serve immediately.
Excellent with Welsh Lamb Chops.