How to Make Brussels, Bacon
& Butter Bean Soup
Other Food & Culinary Related Videos
||This video shows you how
to make a wonderful winter soup using leftover Brussels Sprouts
served with a bacon and crouton accompaniment in easy step by
Although this version has bacon, you can easily adapt the recipe
for vegetarians - simply omit the bacon and use vegetable stock.
See below for the recipe which serves 2 but which can be easily
doubled, tripled tor even quadrupled to make more. Great for a light
Boxing Day lunch.
A Recipes4us.co.uk Production
Brussels, Bacon & Butter Bean Soup
Prep & Cooking time: 30mins
Hot Vegetables Pork Gluten Wheat Free (except Croutons) Eggless English
25g/1 oz Butter
4 Rashers Streaky Bacon, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
200g/7oz Leftover Brussels Sprouts, roughly chopped
1 x 200g/7oz tin Butter Beans, drained
1L/35fl.oz. Chicken or Vegetable Stock
Salt and Black Pepper
Olive Oil for frying
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan add the bacon and onion
and sauté gently for a few minutes, stirring from time to time until softened. For
a vegetarian version you can leave out the bacon making sure you use vegetable
2. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for 1 minute then add the
sprouts and butter beans and mix well.
3. Add the stock, bring to the boil, stirring, then reduce the
heat, partially cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
4. Meanwhile, cut some bread into 1cm/ ½ -inch cubes and thinly
slice a couple of bacon rashers.
5. Heat 6mm/¼ -inch of olive oil in a frying pan until very hot
but not smoking, add the bacon and fry for a minute, separating the pieces, then
add the cubed bread and fry, turning from time to time, until golden brown and
crisp on all sides. Drain on kitchen paper and set aside until ready to serve
6. Once the soup has cooked, allow to cool slightly then transfer
to a liquidiser or food processor and blend until smooth. Alternatively process
in the pan with a hand held blender.
7. Adjust the seasoning and reheat gently stirring constantly.