A Recipes4us.co.uk Production
Broccoli & Stilton Soup Recipe
cooking time: 35 minutes
A knob of butter
½ a medium Onion, roughly chopped
175g/6oz Broccoli (including the stems), roughly chopped
350ml/12fl.oz. Vegetable or Chicken Stock
Salt and Black Pepper
150ml/5fl.oz. Semi Skimmed Milk
1 teasp Cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp Water
50g/2oz Stilton Cheese, crumbled
1. Melt the butter in a medium sized saucepan then add the onion and sauté
over a medium heat for a few minutes until softened but not too brown.
2. Add all of the broccoli and stir fry for 1-2 minutes then add the stock
and black pepper and mix well. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat,
cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the broccoli is very soft.
3. Add the milk, bring back to almost boiling point then stir in the
cornflour mixture and continue to cook over a medium/low heat, stirring
constantly, until slightly thickened.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes then
either purée with an electric hand blender or transfer to a liquidiser or
food processor and purée until smooth.
5. Reheat to simmering point then add the crumbled Stilton cheese and stir
until the cheese has melted and the soup is smooth. Taste for seasoning,
adding salt and more pepper if necessary.
Serve hot by itself or with a swirl of cream and/or croutons. For special
occasions, substitute up to half the stock with dry white wine.