A Recipes4us Production
An easy to make traditional
biscotti which is excellent served with coffee or sweet wine and perfect for
Makes 20-24 Cold Vegetarian
Fruit Nuts Baked Fayre Pastries Teatime Baked Fayre
50g/2oz Butter or Margarine (softened)
225g/8oz self raising flour
¼ teasp Salt
50g/2oz Roughly Chopped Pistachio nuts
50g/2oz Glace Cherries, quartered
1. Preheat the oven to 190C, 375F, Gas Mark 5 and line a a large baking tray
with parchment or baking paper.
2. Place all the ingredients apart from the nuts and fruit in a large
mixing bowl and beat together with a wooden spoon until the mixture starts to
form a cohesive dough.
3. Add the nuts and fruit to the mixture and continue to mix until all the
ingredients are well incorporated and form a stiff dough.
4. Turn the mixture onto a very well floured work surface, divide into two
portions and form each portion into a cylinder about 24cm/8-inches long.
5. Place both cylinders on the prepared baking tray, spaced well apart, flatten
slightly so they no more than 2.5cm/1-inch thick then bake in the oven for 25
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes.
Reduce the oven temperature to 150C/300F, Gas Mark 2.
7. Transfer each cylinder to a cutting board and using a serrated knife, cut
diagonally into slices no more than 2.5cm/1-inch thick. Place cut sides down on
the baking tray and bake for 10 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven, turn the biscuits over and bake for a further 10
minutes. Transfer to a wire tray and allow to completely cool before serving.