Spicy Pilau with Smoked Tofu
Veg HT MC
by Maggi McElroy
Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Vegan Vegetables
Grains Dried Fruit Nuts Herbs
Main Course Healthy Eating
Wheat Free Eggless
2 pkts Smoked Tofu cut into
6 tbsp Olive Oil
4 Carrots, finely diced
1 Onion, finely diced
275g/10oz Long Grain Rice
4 Garlic Cloves, crushed
2 teasp Cumin Seeds
1 Cinnamon Stick
½ teasp Turmeric
Salt and Pepper
1.5L/2½ pts Fresh Vegetable Stock
100g/4oz Green Beans, sliced
50g/2oz Pine Kernels, toasted
175g/6oz Sweetcorn Kernals
2 tbsp Freshly chopped Coriander
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan, add the Tofu and fry for 5-8 minutes until golden.
2. Add the carrots and onion, cover and cook over a low heat for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the rice, garlic, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric, salt and pepper, mix well then add the stock.
4. Bring to boil, stirring then lower heat, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes.
5. Add the beans, nuts, sultanas and sweetcorn, cover and cook for a further 10-15 minutes, until rice is tender.
6. At the end of the cooking time, if necessary uncover, raise the heat and cook for 1 minute to drive off excess moisture.
7. To serve - stir in the coriander and serve immediately.
Vegetarian Recipes | What's
in Season |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.