Edible Flower recipes
Ricotta Stuffed Courgette Flowers
Veg HT HD 40mins
Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Herbs
Spices Edible Flower Blossoms Hors D’oeuvre Starter
12 Courgette (Zucchini) or Squash Flowers (Blossom)
For the Filling
Approx 6 tbsp Fresh Ricotta Cheese
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
1 tbsp Freshly Chopped Basil
1 tbsp Toasted Pine nuts
Salt and Pepper
For the batter
175g/6oz Self Raising Flour
A pinch of Salt
390ml/13fl.oz. Cold Water
2 Eggs, beaten
Oil for shallow frying
1. Carefully remove the pistol and stamen from the centre of the flowers and
gently wash the flowers then dry on kitchen paper and set aside.
2. Place the ricotta, garlic, basil, nuts, egg, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl
and mix until well blended.
3. Fill each flower with a couple of teaspoons of the cheese mixture, making
sure you don’t overfill. Refrigerate whilst you make the batter.
4. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, water and eggs until
5. Heat about 5cm/2 inches of oil in a large frying pan until quite hot
(about 180C/350F) and heat the oven to low.
6. Holding the ends of the petals lightly together, carefully dip a stuffed
flower into the batter, making sure the entire flower is coated, then gently
place into the hot oil. Repeat with a few more but do not overcrowd the pan. You
will probably have to cook them in a couple of batches.
7. Fry for a couple of minutes until lightly browned on one side, then turn and
continue to fry until lightly browned on the other side.
8. As and when each is cooked, remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen
paper and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining stuffed flowers. Serve
hot with a fresh tomato sauce.