Chickpea Bourekia Veg
HT HD PFC Greek 45mins
Serves 4-8 as part of a Mezethes plate
Hot Vegetarian Vegetables Alcohol Pulses Starter Appetizer Hors d'oeuvre
Party Food Buffet Greece Mediterranean
225g/8oz cooked Chickpeas
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 Garlic Clove, finely chopped
2 Tomatoes, finely chopped
Salt and Black Pepper
120ml/4fl.oz Dry White Wine
125g/5oz Feta Cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp freshly chopped Coriander
1 Egg, beaten
225g/8oz Filo Pastry
Olive oil, as needed
1. Preheat the oven to 190C, 375F, Gas Mark 5 and line 2-3 baking sheets with
2. Place the chickpeas in a large mixing bowl and roughly mash. Set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a medium sized pan, add the onion and garlic and sauté,
stirring from time to time, until the onion is soft and transparent.
4. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, mix well then add the wine and cook for
5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
5. Stir in the cheese, chickpeas, coriander and egg and adjust the seasoning
if necessary. Set aside.
6. Cut the filo pastry into rectangles about 10 x 20cm /4 x 8 inches. Brush
one sheet with a little olive oil (covering the remaining sheets with a damp tea
towel to prevent them drying out) then place a tablespoonful of the filling at
one end of a sheet (about 2.5cm/1 inch from the edges).
7. Fold over the sides and nearest end of the filo then roll the pastry into
a sausage shape. Place seam side down on the baking sheet then repeat with the
remaining pastry and filling. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Serve
Why not double the quantity and serve with cocktails or at parties.