Bean Cakes Veg
HT CD HD PFC Egyptian 50mins plus soaking and
Egyptian Name: Tamiyya
Serves 4-6 Hot Cold Vegan
Vegetarian Vegetables Pulses Herbs Spices Appetiser Party Food
Gluten Wheat Dairy Free Eggless Egypt North Africa Nth African
400g/14oz Dried Broad (Fava) Beans, soaked overnight
4 tbsp Fresh Dill Leaves
4 heaped tbsp Freshly Chopped Coriander (Cilantro)
4 heaped tbsp Fresh Parsley
2 Onions, roughly chopped
10 Garlic Cloves
1 teasp Ground Cumin
½ teasp Cayenne Pepper
1 teasp Baking Soda (Bicarbonate of Soda)
2 tbsp Sesame Seeds
Vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Drain the pre-soaked beans, remove the skins, then place in a food processor
together with the dill, coriander, parsley onions, garlic, cumin, cayenne and
baking soda and process to a paste but not too smooth.
2. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and knead for a few minutes then cover with a
tea towel and leave to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the deep fat fryer to very hot. Scoop a small amount of mixture using
a wet tablespoon and shape into a flat disk about 5cm/2 inches in diameter.
Sprinkle one side with sesame seeds then deep fry in hot oil for a few minutes
until golden brown.
4. Repeat with the remaining mixture. You can fry several at one time but don’t
overcrowd the pan.
5. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve hot or cold.
Hors d'oeuvre Recipes | What's
in Season |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.