450g/1lb Cold Hot
Vegetarian Gluten Wheat Free Baked Fayre
Flan Case Pasty Substitute Eggless
75g/3oz White Rice
1/2 teasp Salt
1/2 tsp Xanthum
1 tsp Baking
100g/4oz Butter or
Margarine, well chilled and cubed
Chilled cooked Mashed Potato (See note below)
1. Place the rice flour, cornflour, salt, Xanthan Gum and Baking powder in a
large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. It is advantageous to use an electric
whisk or food processor to get a really good mix.
2. Rub the butter or margarine into the flour with your fingertips until it
3. Add the mashed potato and mix until just combined. DO NOT ADD ANY FURTHER
Briefly work the dough , shape into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate
for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the pastry from the refrigerator and knead by hand for approx. 2
minutes until smooth. Refrigerate again (uncovered) for 1 hour.
5. Remove from refrigerator and roll out on a floured surface as required.
Unlike some other gluten free dough, this pastry rolls out well and is
excellent free form pastry recipes such as sausage rolls, pasties etc.
NB It is important that the mashed potato be prepared well in advance and
chilled (uncovered) for several hours beforehand.