HT SP MC Myanmar
Serves 4-8 Hot Fish Soup Main
Course Burma Burmese Asia Asian
3 tbsp cooking oil
1 Onion, grated
4 Garlic Cloves, crushed
2.5cm/1-inch freshly grated Root Ginger
1 Stalk Lemon Grass, very finely chopped (or 1 teasp Ground Lemon Grass)
1 teasp Chilli Powder
1 teasp Turmeric
90ml/3fl.oz. Fish Sauce (or more to taste)
2 Small Onions, quartered
4 tbsp Rice Flour mixed with a little cold water
450g/1lb Catfish or any firm fish
450g/1lb Fine Rice Noodles
2 Hard Boiled Eggs, quartered
Shredded Spring Onions
Shredded Green Beans (raw or cooked)
Slices of Fried Gourd or Squash
Fresh Coriander Leaves
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the grated onion, garlic, ginger, lemon
grass, chilli powder and turmeric and cook for a few minutes over a medium heat,
stirring, until fragrant.
2. Add the water, fish sauce, quartered onions and rice flour mixture. Mix well
and bring to the boil, stirring thoroughly to prevent any lumps forming. Once
the soup has thickened, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Cut the fish into chunks then add to the soup. Mix well and continue to cook
for a further 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the noodles and cook
for about 5 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
5. To serve – place a portion of noodles in individual soup bowls and top with
the soup. Serve hot with the garnishes served in separate dishes and allow
diners to add whichever of the garnishes they like to their own bowl of soup.
Soup Recipes |
Hors d'oeuvre Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.