Malay Mixed Salad
Veg HT ACC Malaysian 25mins
Malaysian Name: Gado Gado
Serves 4-6 Hot Vegetarian Vegetables
Accompaniment Salads Dairy Free Malaysia Asia Asian
NB This dish is also eaten
widely in Indonesia and can be made with any mixture of fresh vegetables. To
make a more substantial dish, fried tofu can be included.
For the sauce
1 tbsp Oil
3 shallots, chopped
3 Red Chillies, chopped
1 tbsp Palm or Brown Sugar
1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
1 teasp Soy Sauce
1 teasp Salt
125g/5oz Skinned Roasted Peanuts
100g/4oz French Beans, halved width ways
100g/4oz Bean Sprouts
100g/4oz Cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, cut into thin 7.5cm/3-inch long batons
For the garnish
2 hard-boiled Eggs, quartered
1 Boiled Potato, sliced
½ Cucumber, thinly sliced
1 tbsp crisp-fried Onions
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan add the shallot and chillies and stir-fry for 1-2
minutes until fragrant. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon.
2. Transfer the chilli mixture to a food processor together with the peanuts and
process until smooth.
3. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan together with the tamarind paste and
water, bring to the boil and cook over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes until it
4. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil then, in turn,
blanch the beans (3 minutes), cabbage (3 minutes) Carrots (3 minutes) and bean
sprouts (2 minutes).
5. To serve - arrange the potato slices, eggs and cucumber slices around the
edges of a large serving platter then place the drained cooked vegetables in the
centre, keeping them separate. Pour over the hot peanut sauce and sprinkle with
the crispy fried onion.
Salad Recipes | What's
in Season |