Malay Chicken Curry
HT MC Malaysian 90mins
Malaysian Name: Kari Ayam
Serves 4 Hot Poultry Main Course
Curries Gluten Wheat Dairy Free Eggless Malaysia South East Asia
2 Onions, ( 1 chopped and 1 sliced)
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1 x 2.5cm/ 1-inch piece Fresh Root Ginger, chopped
4 large skinless Chicken Portions, halved
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 teasp Ground Cinnamon
1 Star Anise
3 teasp Curry Powder (mixed with a little water to form paste)
210ml/7fl.oz. Coconut Milk
4 Medium Potatoes, peeled and quartered
1. Place the chopped onion in a food processor together with ginger and garlic
and process until smooth.
2. Rub chicken with onion paste and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the remaining sliced onion, cinnamon,
cloves and star anise and fry over a medium heat for a couple of minutes until
4. Add the curry paste and fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add chicken and seal on all sides.
6. Add the coconut milk and enough water to cover the chicken by 5cm/2-inches,
bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes,
checking the liquid level throughout the cooking time and adding more water or
coconut milk if necessary.
7. Add the potatoes and continue to cook for a further 15-20 minutes or until
the potato is tender. Serve hot.
Chicken Recipes | General Prep & Cooking Times |
More Malaysian Recipes