Kotopoulo me pilafi HT
MC Greek 100mins
Serves 4 Hot Poultry
Herbs Grains Main
Course Gluten Wheat Free Dairy Free Eggless Greece Europe Mediterranean
4 tbsp Olive Oil
4 Large Chicken Quarters
1 large Onion, thinly sliced
2 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced
1 tbsp freshly chopped Oregano
1 tbsp freshly chopped Thyme Leaves
1 x 400g/14oz tin Tomatoes
Salt and Black Pepper
175g/6oz Long Grain Rice
Freshly chopped Parsley to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan until hot then add the chicken pieces and
brown on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until lightly browned.
3. Add the oregano, thyme, tomatoes and water, mix well and bring to the
4. Season with salt and pepper then add the chicken pieces, reduce the heat,
cover and simmer for about 1 hour, stirring from time to time and turning the
5. Once cooked, remove the chicken pieces with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
Increase the heat until the cooking liquid boils then add the rice, more
seasoning and half of the parsley. Mix well, cover and simmer very gently,
without stirring, for about 10 minutes, until the rice feels cooked but is still
a little hard. Add a little hot water during the cooking if necessary.
7. Replace the chicken pieces on top of the sauce, cover the saucepan first
with a tea towel and then its lid and let it stand for 10 minutes before
serving, so that the rice still cooks in its steam and fluffs up. Sprinkle with
the remaining parsley just before serving.