A Weekday Menu Recipe
Edam and Sweet Tomato Chicken Parcels
4-6 Hot Poultry
Chicken Pork Vegetables Herbs Main
Course Gluten wheat Free Eggless
developed by chef Lesley Waters, chicken breasts stuffed with Edam cheese,
semi-dried tomatoes and wrapped in Italian Ham. This is a great entertaining
recipe as it can be prepared ahead and cooked last minute.
4 150g/5oz boneless, skinless free-range/organic chicken breasts
75g/2 ¾ oz Edam cheese, grated
12 sweet antipasto cherry tomatoes or sun-blush tomatoes, roughly
1 teasp fresh thyme leaves
6 slices/85g pack Parma ham
For the Savoy Cabbage:
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
1 large garlic clove, crushed
350g/12oz Savoy cabbage or spring greens, cored and very finely shredded
A squeeze lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas 6, fan oven 180C.
Remove the small fillet from the underside of each chicken breast and set to one
side. Using a sharp knife make a vertical cut down the length of each chicken
breast, but not all the way through to form a pocket.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the Edam, tomatoes, thyme and season well.
3. Spoon the Edam mixture into each chicken breast pocket. Fold over the flaps
of the pocket and cover with the reserved chicken fillets to enclose the
4. Wrap 1 ½ slices of Parma ham around each breast.
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan or griddle pan, lay in the chicken and sear for 2
minutes each side until golden. Transfer to the oven and cook for 12-15 minutes
or until the chicken is cooked through.
6. Just before serving, heat the olive oil in a wok, add the garlic and fry
gently for 30 seconds. Add the cabbage and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until just
wilted but still retaining a bite. Season well adding a squeeze of lemon juice.
Divide in the centre of 4 warm serving plates.
7. Slice each chicken breast in half on the diagonal and place on top of the
cabbage. Serve straight away.
• You can use thinly sliced pancetta or rindless, streaky bacon for wrapping
around the chicken.
• If your pan isn’t ovenproof, transfer the chicken to a roasting tin.