Casserole of Venison with Chocolate
HT MC 150mins plus marinating
Serves 4 Hot Meat Game Vegetables Fruit
Herbs Alcohol Gluten Wheat Free Eggless
480ml/16 fl.oz. Red Wine
8 Juniper Berries, crushed
12 Black Peppercorns, crushed
2 Bay Leaves, crumbled
4 sprigs of Fresh Thyme
1 strip of orange peel
900g/2lb Venison Shoulder, cut into large cubes
50ml/2fl oz Oil
Salt and Black Pepper
2 Large Carrots, cubed
1 large Onion, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, peeled
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp Rowan or Redcurrant Jelly
50g/2oz Dark Chocolate (70% Cocoa Solids), grated (check
1. Place the wine, juniper Berries, peppercorns, bay leaves, thyme and orange
peel and Venison in a bowl, mix well then cover with clingfilm and leave to
marinate for 8 -24 hours, turning from time to time.
2. When you are ready to cook the venison (after the marinating time), preheat
the oven to 140C, 275F, Gas mark 1. Remove the venison and vegetables from the
marinade with a slotted spoon (reserving the marinade) and pat them dry on
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan until very hot then add the venison pieces
and brown well on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer the meat
to a casserole dish together with the vegetables,
4. Stir in the tomato purée to the frying pan, cook for 1-2 minutes then add the
marinade (with all the bits) and salt and bring to the boil, stirring.
5. Pour the wine mixture over the venison, add enough water to just cover with
the water, cover with a tight lid and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
6. Strain the juices from the casserole into a large saucepan, bring to the boil
and boil rapidly until reduced to about 300ml/10fl oz. Return the venison,
covered, to the oven to keep warm.
7. Reduce the heat to very low then add the rowan or redcurrant jelly, whisking.
Adjust the seasoning then whisk in the grated chocolate until melted and well
8. Pour the sauce over the venison and mix well and serve immediately.
Venison Recipes |
More Savoury Chocolate Recipes
Poultry & Game Recipes | General
Poultry & Game Prep & Cooking Times