Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
HT MC Polish 135mins
Polish Name: Golabki
Serves 4 Hot
Pork Beef Main Course Gluten Wheat Free
Poland Eastern Europe
1 Whole Medium Cabbage
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp Butter
450g/1lb Minced Beef
225g/8oz Minced Pork
225g/8oz Cooked Rice
1 tbsp Freshly Chopped Parsley
¼ teasp Freshly ground Nutmeg
1 teasp Paprika
Salt and pepper
for the sauce
1 x 400g/14oz tin Chopped Tomatoes
240ml/8fl.oz Hot Fresh Stock
2 teasp Brown Sugar
Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 150C, 300F, Gas Mark 2. Remove core from the cabbage,
place in a large saucepan, cover with water then bring to the boil and cook
until the outer leaves begin to loosen.
2. Lift out the cabbage, remove the softened leaves and return the head of
cabbage to the pan of boiling water to soften more leaves. Repeat until all
leaves are removed.
3. Once all the leaves have been softened, remove the centre stalks from each
leaf and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a frying pan, add the onion and sauté for a few
minutes until transparent.
5. Transfer the onion to a mixing bowl together with the meat, egg, rice and
seasonings and mix well.
6. Divide the meat mixture between each cabbage leaf then fold each into a
parcel then place seam side down in a greased shallow ovenproof dish.
7. In a bowl, mix together the ingredients for the sauce then pour the mixture
over the cabbage rolls and bake in the oven for 2 hours. Serve hot.
Pork/Bacon Recipes | General
Pork Prep & Cooking Times |