Pork and Potato
Tourtière HT MC Canadian 80mins
Serves 4 Hot Pork Vegetables Spices
Main Course Canada Nth America North American
450g/1lb Minced Pork
1 medium Onion, chopped
Salt and Pepper
½ teasp Ground Cloves
½ teasp Ground Cinnamon
1 teasp Celery Salt
2 Medium Potatoes, boiled and mashed
350g/12oz Shortcrust Pastry
1 Egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 220C, 425F Gas Mark 7. Place the meat, onion and water in
a saucepan, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes
until colour changes.
2. Stir in the seasonings and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
3. Drain the meat very well then return to the saucepan and stir in the mashed
potatoes. Set aside.
4. Divide the pastry into two potions and roll each portion out large enough fit
a 20cm/8-inch pie plate.
5. Line the pie plate with one portion of the pastry then fill with meat
mixture, pressing it down lightly.
6. Brush the edges of the pastry with a little beaten egg, cover with the
remaining pastry, seal the edges and crimp if desired. Brush the top with more
beaten egg and make a hole in the top to allow steam to escape.
7. Bake for 15 minutes then lower oven temperature to 190C, 375F, Gas mark 5 and
continue to cook for a further 25 minutes.
Pork/Bacon Recipes | General
Pork Preparation & Cooking Times |