Pork and Beef
Tourtière HT MC Canadian
Serves 4 Hot Pork Beef Vegetables herbs Spices Main Course Canada Nth America
225g/8oz Lean Minced Pork
225g/8oz lean Minced Beef
1 Onion, chopped
1 Garlic Clove, minced
120ml/4fl.oz. Stock or Water
Salt and Black Pepper
½ teasp Dried Thyme
½ teasp Dried Sage, crushed
¼ teasp Ground Cloves
350g/+12oz Shortcrust Pastry
1 Egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven 220C, 425F, Gas Mark 7.
2. Place all the ingredients apart from the pastry and egg in a large saucepan
and bring to the boil, mixing well.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring once in a while.
4. Divide the pastry into two potions and roll each portion out large enough fit
a 20cm/8-inch pie plate.
5. Line the pie plate with one portion of the pastry then fill with meat
mixture, pressing it down lightly.
6. Brush the edges of the pastry with a little beaten egg, cover with the
remaining pastry, seal the edges and crimp if desired. Brush the top with more
beaten egg and make a hole in the top to allow steam to escape.
7. Bake for 15 minutes then lower oven temperature to 190C, 375F, Gas mark 5 and
continue to cook for a further 25 minutes.