Serves 4 Hot Vegetarian Vegan
Pulses Grains Pasta Vegetables Main Course Dairy Free Eggless
Egypt North Africa Nth African
175g/6oz Brown Lentils
150g/+5oz Short Cut Pasta e.g. Conchiglie (shells), Macaroni
2 Medium Onions, diced
2 tbsp Oil
Chilli Powder to serve
1. Place the lentils in a saucepan, cover with plenty of water, bring to the
boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. After the 15 minutes, stir in the rice and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
3. After the 10 minutes, add the macaroni and continue to cook for a further 10
minutes until the lentils, rice and pasta are all tender.
4. Meanwhile, fry the onions in the oil until browned, then remove the onions
with a slotted spoon and set aside.
5. Drain the cooked lentil mixture well then return to the saucepan and add the
oil from the frying pan into the lentil mixture. Return to the heat and cook for
10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking and burning.
6. Meanwhile, heat the fresh tomato sauce in a saucepan together with the
7. To serve, turn the lentil mixture onto serving platters, top with the tomato
sauce and onion mixture and sprinkle with chili powder.