HT HD Venezuelan 45mins
Venezuelan Name: Arepas Rellenas Con Guiso De Carne
Serves 4 Hot
Beef Pork Herbs Hors d’oeuvre Starter Appetizer
Gluten Wheat Dairy Free Eggless Sth America South
1 tbsp Oil
100g/4oz Minced Beef
100g/4oz Minced Pork
½ Onion, chopped
1 small Garlic Clove, crushed
1 small Green Chilli, finely chopped
1 large Tomato, chopped
¼ teasp Ground Cumin
½ teasp freshly chopped Thyme
½ tbsp Capers
For the dough
300ml/10fl.oz. Warm Water
¼ teasp Salt
225g/8oz Masa Harina Flour
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6. Heat oil in a medium saucepan,
add the meat, onions, garlic, chilli, tomato, cumin, thyme, and salt, and cook
over a medium heat, for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time.
2. Meanwhile, place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and gradually add
the warm water, mixing to form a stiff dough. Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
3. Knead the dough for a couple of minutes then form into 4 balls. Flatten with
the palm of your hand so they measure about 7.5cm/3-inches in diameter and are
about 18mm/¾-inch thick.
4. Heat a little oil in a large frying pan, add the arepas and cook for 3-4
minutes on each side until crisp and golden, turning 3 or four times.
5. Remove them from the pan and drain on kitchen paper then transfer to a baking
sheet and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.
6. Stir the capers into the meat mixture.
7. To serve – split the Arepas in two, place on serving plates and top with the
meat mixture. Serve very hot.
Hors d'oeuvre Recipes | What's
in Season |