HT CBF DP South African 60mins plus cooling
Makes 18 Hot Vegetarian Pastries Baked Fayre Dessert S. Africa
250g/9oz Brown Sugar
1 slice Lemon
175g/6oz Self Raising Flour
Vegetable Oil for deep frying
Syrup to serve
1. Place the sugar, water, cinnamon and lemon in a saucepan, bring to the
boil stirring, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2. Remove the lemon slice and discard then add the butter and egg and beat
well until creamy.
3. Add the flour and mix well until smooth then the dough turn onto a lightly
floured surface and roll out to a 22cm/9 inch square.
4. Cut the square into 18 pieces about 7.5cm x 1.7cm/3 x 1-1/2-inches.
5. Make two cuts lengthways all the way through each piece but leaving them
joined at the top, so it looks like a 3 strip tassel, then plait the strips on
each piece and pinch at the ends to seal.
6. Heat the oil to 180C/350F and deep fry the pastries for 4-5 minutes.
Drain on kitchen paper then dip into syrup (maple, golden or other of your
choice) before serving hot.
Biscuit/Cookies & Pastries Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart. Why not print it off for future reference.
Convert all recipes written in metric or imperial quickly and easily. Metric/imperial users can do the same but the other way round - from
cups to grams or ounces.