Irish Barm Brack
Cold Vegetarian Dried Fruit Bread Baked Fayre Ireland Europe
1-1/2 teasp Dried Yeast
300ml/10fl.oz Warm Water
A pinch of Sugar
450g/1lb Strong White Flour
4 tbsp Caster Sugar
1/2 teasp Ground Ginger
50g/2oz Candied Peel, chopped
1. Place the warm water in a bowl and sprinkle over the
yeast. Add the sugar and leave in a warm place for about 15 minutes until
2. In another large mixing bowl, rub the butter into
the flour and stir in half the caster sugar, ginger, nutmeg, sultanas, currants
and candied peel. Mix well.
3. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the
yeast liquid, beating well until it binds together and forms a dough.
4. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for about 10
minutes until smooth and elastic.
5. Transfer to a clean bowl, cover with a tea towel and
leave in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size.
6. Turn onto a floured surface and lightly knead then
shape into a large round or oval. Place on a greased baking sheet, cover and
leave again for about 30 minutes until doubled in size.
7. Preheat the oven to 230C, 450F, Gas Mark 8.
8. Bake the risen dough for 15 minutes then reduce the
oven temperature to 200C, 400F, Gas mark 6 and continue to bake for a further 20
to 30 minutes until cooked. The bread should sound hollow when tapped on the
9. Place the remaining sugar in a small bowl and add 1
tablespoon of very hot water. Stir to dissolve the sugar then brush the surface
of the bread with the sugar solution.
10. Return to the oven for 3-4 minutes. Cool on a wire