Butter, cut into small pieces
Preheat the oven to 220C, 425F, Gas mark 7 and grease 2 baking
2. Place the water and butter in a large saucepan and heat gently
until the butter melts. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and
add all the flour. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until
3. Return to the heat and continue beating until a smooth ball of
paste is formed (about 1 minute). Remove from the heat immediately
and continue to beat to cool it a little.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
Continue to beat until a smooth shiny mass is obtained.
5. Either pipe shapes or drop teaspoonfuls of paste on to the baking
trays, making sure there is at least 5cm/2inches between each one.
Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes until golden brown, crisp and
hollow to the tap. Do not open the oven before 20 minutes.
6. Once cooked, remove from the oven, place on a wire rack and make
a small slit in the base to allow the steam to escape.