Traditional Whoopie Pies Recipe
CD CBF N. American 40mins
8 x 7cm/3-inch filled Whoopie Pies
Vegetarian Chocolate Baked Fayre Teatime
Cookies North America USA
100g/4oz Butter or Margarine
100g/4oz Brown sugar
1 teasp Vanilla
4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
225g/8oz Self Raising Flour
˝ teasp salt
For the filling
2 Egg Whites
225g/8oz Castor Sugar
80ml/2˝fl.oz. cold water
1 tbsp Honey
1 teasp Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and lightly grease 3 or 4 large
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar then add the eggs,
milk and vanilla extract and mix well.
3. In another bowl, mix together the cocoa, flour and salt then add to the
butter mixture, a little at a time, beating to incorporate well between each
addition, to form a smooth very thick mixture.
4. Drop large spoonfuls of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets to make
16 cakes making sure you space them about 5cm/2-inch apart on all sides, then
using the back of a spoon, spread each into 7cm/3-inch circles.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes until they are firm to the touch. Remove from oven,
transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
6. Once the biscuits are completely cold, make the filling. Place all of
the filling ingredients in a large heatproof bowl and whisk until well mixed.
7. Place the bowl over a saucepan of rapidly boiling water, then whisk
constantly for 5-7 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy and stands
in peaks. Using an electric whisk is easier.
8. Remove from heat, whisk for a further minute or so then allow to cool
completely before using to fill whoopie pies.
9. To make up the whoopie pies, spread some of the filling on the flat side of a
biscuit quite thickly then place another biscuit on top, pressing together
lightly, to make a sandwich. Repeat with the remaining filling and biscuits.
To keep - Wrap individually in clingfilm or place in a single layer on a large
plate - do not stack them as they may stick to each other. Store in the
refrigerator for a few days.
To freeze - Wrap individually in clingfilm then pack loosely in a freezer proof
container and freeze. Defrost the wrapped whoopie pies in the refrigerator for
several hours before serving.
More Whoopie Pie Recipes
Biscuit/Cookies & Pastries Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.