HT CD CBF Welsh
Makes approx 12 Hot
Cold Vegetarian Cakes Wales British Europe
225g/8oz Self Raising Flour
1 teasp Mixed Spice
50g/2oz Currants or Sultanas
1 large Egg, lightly beaten
Milk, to mix
1. Sieve the flour and spices into a large mixing bowl then rub the butter
into the flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in the currants and sugar then add the egg and mix well until it
starts to come together. If it is s not sticking together, add a little milk to
get a stiff dough, a little softer than pastry.
3. Turn onto a floured work surface and roll out to just under 12mm/½-inch
thick, then cut into 7.55cm/3-inch rounds using a biscuit cutter.
4. Heat a griddle or large frying pan until very hot, lightly grease with oil
butter, wiping the excess off, then place some cakes on the griddle,
spacing quite well apart and cook for about 4 minutes on each side until golden
Serve warm or cold with or without butter.
Cake Recipes | Bread
& Bun Recipes |
Biscuit/Cookies & Pastries Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart. Why not print it off for future reference.
Convert all recipes written in metric or imperial quickly and easily. Metric/imperial users can do the same but the other way round - from
cups to grams or ounces.
If you've arrived at this page via a search engine, do take a few minutes to
look around the site. We're convinced you'll find lots more excellent recipes
and in depth culinary information covering a wide range of food related topics.