This is a traditional Swiss roll recipe at its most simple. Light airy sponge spread with jam then rolled up.
Prep & Cook Time:
Recipe Tags: Cold Vegetarian
Fruit Cake Cakes Baked Fayre
Teatime Britain Europe
175g/6oz Caster Sugar
50g/2oz Plain Flour
1 teasp Baking Powder
For the filling
Approx 8 tbsp Jam
1. Preheat the oven to 220C, 425F, Gas mark 7 and line a Swiss
roll tin with greaseproof paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs together with 100g/4oz of
the sugar, until the mixture is pale and thick. Mix together the
flour and baking powder then add to the bowl with the eggs and mix
3. Thinly spread the mixture in the tin, levelling the surface with
a palette knife. Bake in the oven for 6-7 minutes until golden.
4. Sprinkle the top with the remaining sugar then invert onto a
sheet of greaseproof paper. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Once cold, spread evenly with the jam then very gently roll up
from one of the short ends. Transfer to a serving platter seam-side
End of instructions
Tips, Options and
Use whatever flavour jam you prefer - strawberry, raspberry,
Substitute the jam with marmalade or butter cream
To make it extra special fill with fresh cream and fresh
fruit and dust with icing sugar