Staffordshire Oatcakes Recipe
Veg CD CBF English 20mins
oatcakes are a local
speciality in the North Staffordshire area of England and are sometimes called
Potteries oatcakes, named after the area famed for pottery making.
Makes Approx 10 Cold
Vegetarian Pancake England British Europe
450ml15fl.oz. Warm Water
1 teasp Sugar
225g/8oz Fine Oatmeal
225g/8oz Wholewheat or Plain Flour
15g/˝oz Fresh Yeast (or equivalent Dried Yeast)
1 teasp Salt
1. Mix together the warm milk and water. Place the sugar in a small bowl or
teacup together with a little of the warm liquid, stir to dissolve the sugar
then add the yeast and blend into a thin paste then leave in a warm place for
10-15 minutes until it becomes frothy.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oatmeal, flour and salt.
3. Add the frothy yeast mixture and remaining warm liquid, mix well to form a
smooth batter then cover and allow to stand in a warm place for 45-60 minutes.
4. Heat a non-stick frying pan or well greased griddle until hot then pour in a
ladle spoon (about 180ml/6fl.oz.) of the batter to form a 20cm/ 8-inch in
diameter circle. Do not spread it, just let it settle itself.
5. Cook for 2-3 minutes until holes appear in the surface and the underside is
6. Flip it over and continue to cook for a further 2-3 minutes until golden
Serve immediately. Traditionally served for breakfast with bacon but
use the sweet or savoury filling of your choice as you would a
Biscuit/Cookies & Pastries Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart. Why not print it off for future reference.
Convert all recipes written in metric or imperial quickly and easily. Metric/imperial users can do the same but the other way round - from
cups to grams or ounces.