the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and place 12 cupcake
cases on a baking tray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar
together until pale and fluffy using a wooden spoon or
an electric hand mixer.
3. Gradually beat in the whisked eggs a little at a
time until well incorporated then add the flour and mix
until well blended.
4. Toss the quartered cherries in the ground almonds
to coat then gently fold into the cake mixture using a
spatula or metal spoon.
5. Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases,
smooth the tops and bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until
golden, risen and firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire
rack to cool.
6. Meanwhile, make the fondant icing. Place three
quarters of the icing sugar in a medium sized mixing
bowl, make a well in the centre, add 3/4 of the
egg white and 1½ tbsp of the glucose then start mixing, gradually drawing the sugar
into the liquid until it forms a mass.
7. Turn onto a work surface which has been well
dusted with extra icing sugar and knead until very
smooth. Wrap in clingfilm until ready to use. Repeat
with the remaining egg white, glucose, icing sugar and
about 1 teasp of red food colouring.