African Rusks Veg
CD CBF South African 40mins plus drying
South African Name: Beskuit
Makes 24 Cold
Vegetarian Biscuits Baked Fayre Sth. Africa
100g/4oz Plain White Flour
150g/+5oz Whole Wheat Flour
2 heaped tbsp Sugar
¼ teasp Salt
1 teasp Baking Powder
½ teasp Ground Cinnamon
60ml/2fl.oz. melted Butter
Approx. 90ml/3fl.oz. Buttermilk
1 teasp Vanilla Extract
1 teasp Almond Extract
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6 and lightly grease 2 or 3
2. Place the flours, sugar, salt, baking powder and ground cinnamon in a
large mixing bowl and blend well.
3. Place the remaining ingredients in a measuring jug, mix well then add to
the flour mixture and mix to a soft dough.
4. Turn onto a floured surface and roll out to 12mm/ ½ -inch thickness.
5. Cut the dough into 24 rectangles, place 5cm/2-inches apart on the prepared
baking sheets and bake for about 25 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and pile onto a baking sheet. Reduce the oven
temperature to very low then return the rusks to the oven and leave for 12 hours
to dry out.
warning: The finished rusks are very dry and hard and should only be
used to dunk in coffee.