BiscuitsVeg HT CBF Tunisian 50mins plus resting
Tunisian Name: Makroud
Makes approx 24 Cold Vegetarian Fruit Cookies Baked Fayre
Tunisia Nth African North African
225g/8oz Butter, melted
1 teasp Vanilla Extract
2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
75g/3oz Dates, finely chopped
For the Syrup
1 tbsp Orange Flower Water
Vegetable Oil for Deep frying
2 tbsp Icing Sugar
1. Place the semolina, butter, vanilla, eggs and salt in a large mixing bowl and
knead to make a smooth dough, adding a little water if necessary.
2. Divide the dough into 24 pieces and shape each piece into a cylinder about
7.5cm/3 inches long and 2.5cm/1 inch in diameter.
3. Slightly flatten the dough, place about 1/2 teaspoon of dates down the centre
then fold over and press the edges to seal into a rectangular shape. Repeat with
remaining dough and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
4. Just before cooking the dough, place the honey, water and orange flower water
in a saucepan, and bring slowly to the boil, stirring constantly. Keep warm over
5. Heat oil to 180C/350F then fry the dough biscuits for a few minutes until
golden brown. You will probably have to do this in batches.
6. Immediately dip the hot biscuits into the warm honey syrup, then drain the
excess syrup off and allow to cool. Sprinkle with icing sugar before serving.
introduce air into a mixture using a utensil such as a wooden spoon, fork or
whisk, in order to achieve a lighter texture.
- to - The process where sugar and softened butter are beaten together
with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is light, pale and well blended. This
process may also be carried out with a hand held mixer or in a food processor.
- The incorporation of fat into flour.Butter is cubed then gently rubbed between the thumb and
forefinger, lifting the mixing at the same time, until the fat is fully
incorporated and the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.