Egyptian Name: Basbousa
Makes 1 Cake Cold Vegetarian Nuts Cakes Baked
Fayre Pudding Egypt North Africa Nth African
1 teasp Vanilla Extract
400g/14oz fine Semolina
1 teasp Baking Powder
½ teasp Baking Soda
12 Blanched split Almonds For the Syrup
400g/14oz Granulated Sugar
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, gas Mark 4 and grease a 20x30cm/8x12-inches
2. Sift together the semolina, baking powder and baking soda twice into a mixing
bowl. Set aside.
3. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and cream together
until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time beating well between each addition then add a little
of the yoghurt.
5. Fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture, a little at a time and
alternating with the remaining yogurt.
6. Transfer the batter into the baking pan and place the almonds across in rows.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until cake is cooked when tested with a toothpick which
should come out clean when pushed into the cake.
7. Meanwhile, make the syrup by placing the sugar, water and lemon juice in a
small saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly over medium heat. Boil
rapidly for 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and stand the pan in cold
water to cool it.
8. Once the cake is cooked, spoon cooled syrup over the hot cake then allow to
9. Once cold, cut into diamond shapes or squares to serve.
Serve with Ushta or whipped cream. Can also be served as a dessert.
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.
introduce air into a mixture using a utensil such as a wooden spoon, fork or
whisk, in order to achieve a lighter texture.
- to - The process where sugar and softened butter are beaten together
with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is light, pale and well blended. This
process may also be carried out with a hand held mixer or in a food processor.
- The incorporation of fat into flour.Butter is cubed then gently rubbed between the thumb and
forefinger, lifting the mixing at the same time, until the fat is fully
incorporated and the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.