Homemade Pitta Bread Recipe
Veg HT CD CBF ACC Egyptian 50mins
An authentic pitta bread recipe
Makes 8 pita breads Hot Cold Vegetarian Vegan
Breads Accompaniment Baked Fayre Dairy free Eggless
Mediterranean Egypt North Africa Nth African
300ml/10fl.oz. Warm Water
1 teasp Active Dry Yeast
350g/12oz Plain Flour
2 teasp Salt
2 teasp Olive Oil, plus a little extra
1. Place the warm water in a small bowl and sprinkle over the yeast and stir to
2. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl then add the yeast mixture
and olive oil and mix to a dough.
3. Turn onto a lightly floured work surface, knead for 5-8 minutes until smooth
and elastic, then form into a ball and place in an oiled mixing bowl, cover with
clingfilm and leave in a warm place for about 1 hour to rise until double the
4. Preheat oven to 220C, 425F, gas Mark 7. Turn the risen dough onto a work
surface, divide into 8 pieces and form each piece into a ball. Cover them
loosely with a piece of plastic wrap to keep the dough from drying out then roll
each ball into tear shapes about 6mm/ ¼ -inch thick
5. Place onto ungreased baking sheets and bake for approximately 8 minutes until
puffed and light brown. Cooking two at a time will prevent the rolled out pitas
from drying out whilst you roll out two more.
Cake Recipes | Bread
& Bun Recipes |
Biscuit/Cookies & Pastries Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart. Why not print it off for future reference.
Convert all recipes written in metric or imperial quickly and easily. Metric/imperial users can do the same but the other way round - from
cups to grams or ounces.