Maple Walnut Whoopie Pies
CD CBF N. American 40mins
8 x 7cm/3-inch whoopie pies
Vegetarian Baked Fayre Teatime
Cakes Cookies North America USA
100g/4oz Butter or Margarine
100g/4oz Brown sugar
1 teasp Vanilla
225g/8oz Self Raising Flour
½ teasp salt
For the filling
2 Egg Whites
225g/8oz Castor Sugar
90ml/3fl.oz. cold water
1 tbsp Maple Syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and lightly grease 3 or 4 large
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar then add egg, milk and
maple syrup and beat until well blended.
3. Mix together the flour and salt then add to the butter mixture and mix well
to form a smooth thick mixture.
4. Stir in the walnuts then drop large spoonfuls of the mixture onto the
prepared baking sheets to make 16 cakes making sure you space them about
5cm/2-inch apart on all sides, then using the back of a spoon, spread each into
flattish 7cm/3-inch circles.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes until they are firm to the touch. Remove from oven,
transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
6. For the filling place all of the filling ingredients in a large heatproof
bowl and whisk until well mixed.
7. Place the bowl over a saucepan of rapidly boiling water, then whisk
constantly for 5-7 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy and stands
in peaks. Using an electric whisk is easier.
8. Remove from heat, whisk for a further minute or so then allow to cool
9. Assemble the whoopie pies by spreading the flat side of a cake with a
generous amount of filling. You can also pipe the filling for an extra
decorative effect. Place another cake, flat side down, on top of the filling
then press together lightly.
To keep - Wrap individually in clingfilm or place in a single layer on a large
plate - do not stack them as they may stick to each other. Store in the
refrigerator for a few days.
To freeze - Wrap individually in clingfilm then pack loosely in a freezer proof
container and freeze. Defrost the wrapped whoopie pies in the refrigerator for
several hours before serving.
More Whoopie Pie Recipes
Biscuit/Cookies & Pastries Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.