Veg HT CBF Portuguese 40mins plus proving
Makes approx 36 Hot Vegetarian Pastries teatime Portugal Europe
½ pkt Active Dry Yeast
1 teasp Sugar
30ml/1fl.oz. Warm Water
350g/+12oz Plain Flour
3 Eggs, beaten
50g/2oz Butter, melted
1/4 teasp Freshly Grated Nutmeg
120ml/4fl.oz. Evaporated Milk
1 teasp Salt
Oil for deep frying
Sugar for dredging
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and the 1 teaspoon sugar in the warm
2. Place the flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl, mix well then make a well
in the centre.
3 Add the yeast mixture, eggs, butter, nutmeg, evaporated milk, water and salt
and beat to form a soft dough. Cover and leave to rise for about 40 minutes or
4. Preheat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 190C/375F. Drop teaspoonfuls of the
risen dough from the bowl being into the hot fat and fry for a few minutes until
browned. You will have to do this in batches. Do not overcrowd the pan.
5. Drain on kitchen paper then coat on all sides with granulated sugar and serve
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart. Why not print it off for future reference.
Convert all recipes written in metric or imperial quickly and easily. Metric/imperial users can do the same but the other way round - from
cups to grams or ounces.
introduce air into a mixture using a utensil such as a wooden spoon, fork or
whisk, in order to achieve a lighter texture.
- to - The process where sugar and softened butter are beaten together
with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is light, pale and well blended. This
process may also be carried out with a hand held mixer or in a food processor.
- The incorporation of fat into flour.Butter is cubed then gently rubbed between the thumb and
forefinger, lifting the mixing at the same time, until the fat is fully
incorporated and the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.