Hertzog Cookies Veg
CD CBF South African 40mins plus cooling
Makes approx 30 Cold Vegetarian
Biscuits Baked Fayre Sth. Africa
225g/8oz Self Raising Flour
2 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Margarine
2 egg yolks
milk or water
½ teasp Vanilla Essence
A pinch of Salt
For the filling
2 Egg Whites, stiffly beaten
75g/3oz Desiccated Coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6 and lightly grease some patty
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light
3. Add the egg yolks and vanilla essence and beat well.
4. Add the flour and salt, blending well, then stir sufficient milk or water
to form a fairly stiff dough.
5. Turn onto a floured surface and roll the dough out to 6mm/1/4-inch
thickness. Cut into rounds with a pastry cutter and line the greased patty tins
with the rounds of pastry. Set aside whilst you make the filling.
6. Place the beaten egg whites in a mixing bowl, gradually add the sugar
beating well to blend well then add the coconut and mix well. Set aside.
7. Place a little apricot jam in the centre of the pastry rounds in the tins
then spoon some of the coconut mixture over the jam.
8. Bake for about 15 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Remove from
the oven and cool on wire racks.
Biscuit/Cookies & Pastries Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.