12 small rolls
Cold Vegetarian Bread Roll
Baked Fayre Traditional Teatime Sandwich English
120ml/4fl oz Milk
225g/8oz Strong White Flour
¼ teaspoon Salt
1 scant teasp Easy Blend Dried Yeast
2 teasp Caster Sugar
2 small Eggs
1 Egg, beaten with a little salt
1. Heat the milk and butter gently in a small saucepan until
the butter has melted. Set aside to cool to blood temperature.
2. Place the flour, salt, sugar and yeast together in a large bowl
and mix well.
3. Check the temperature of the milk, which should feel about the
same temperature as your finger. Add two eggs to the milk mixture,
beat together thoroughly then gradually add to the flour mixture
stirring with a wooden spoon until it comes together.
4. Start kneading with your hands in the bowl until you have a
smooth dough. The dough should come away from the sides of the bowl
easily without sticking so add more flour if necessary. Continue to
knead the dough either in the bowl or on a floured work surface, for
5 minutes, until very smooth and elastic.
5. Form the dough into a ball, place back in the bowl, cover with
clingfilm and leave it in a warm place to prove for about 1 hour
until it has doubled in volume.
End of instructions
6. Very lightly butter 2 or 3 baking trays. Once the dough is well
risen, lightly flour your hands, knock it back and knead very
briefly then divide the mixture into 12 pieces and form each piece
into a sausage shape.
7. Arrange the rolls onto the prepared trays well apart, brush the
tops with some beaten egg, and leave to rise for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile preheat the oven to 220C, 425F, Gas Mark 7.
8. Immediately reduce the oven temperature to 190C, 375F, Gas 5 and
bake the rolls for 20 minutes.