An Egyptian flatbread which uses both barley and whole wheat flours.
Prep & Cook Time:
50 mins + proving
Hot Vegetarian Rolls Flat
Bread Breads Baked Fayre Dairy Free
Eggless Egypt North Africa Nth African
1 teasp Active Dry Yeast
60ml/2fl.oz. Warm Water
120ml/4fl.oz. Plain Yogurt (room temperature)
½ teasp Baking Soda
100g/4oz Barley Flour
150g/+5oz Whole Wheat Flour
½ teasp Salt
In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Set
2. Stir the yogurt until smooth, then add the baking soda and mix well. The
yogurt will froth up.
3. Mix together the flours and salt in a large mixing bowl then add the yeast
mixture and yogurt and stir to mix. Knead in the bowl for 10 minutes.
4. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel or clingfilm and leave in a warm place for 1 until doubled
5. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface, knead for 5 minutes then
divide into 8 equal portions, and roll into balls. Cover with a clean tea towel or clingfilm and leave for 20 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to low. Heat a griddle or large frying pan until
quite hot, rub with oil then place one dough ball in the pan and
then press down to encourage small bubbles. Cook for 1 ½ minutes,
then turn and cook for a further minute. The edges of bread should
seem moist when cooked. Keep warm in the oven covered with foil,
whilst you cook the remaining rolls.
Serve warm or cold as an accompaniment to main courses.