Banana Whoopie Pies
CD CBF N. American 40mins
8 x 7cm/3-inch whoopie pies
Vegetarian Fruit Baked Fayre Teatime
Cakes Cookies North America USA
75g/3oz Butter, softened
100g/4oz Very Ripe Bananas, mashed
1 teasp Vanilla Extract
225g/8oz Self Raising Flour
½ teasp Salt
For the filling
2 Egg Whites
225g/8oz Castor Sugar
90ml/3fl.oz. cold water
1 tbsp Golden Syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and lightly grease 3 or 4 large
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar then add the eggs,
bananas and vanilla and beat until well blended.
3. Mix together the flour and salt then add to the butter mixture and mix to
form a smooth very thick mixture.
4. Drop large spoonfuls of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets to make
16 cakes making sure you space them about 5cm/2-inch apart on all sides, then
using the back of a spoon, spread each into flattish 7cm/3-inch circles.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes until they are firm to the touch. Remove from oven,
transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
6. For the filling place all of the filling ingredients in a large heatproof
bowl and whisk until well mixed.
7. Place the bowl over a saucepan of rapidly boiling water, then whisk
constantly for 5-7 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy and stands
in peaks. Using an electric whisk is easier.
8. Remove from heat, whisk for a further minute or so then allow to cool
9. Assemble the whoopie pies by spreading the flat side of a cold cake with a
generous amount of filling. You can also pipe the filling for an extra
decorative effect. Place another cake, flat side down, on top of the filling
then press together lightly.
More Whoopie Pie Recipes
Biscuit/Cookies & Pastries Recipes
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.