Boiled Beef and Carrots HT MC English 170mins
Hot Beef Meat Spices Vegetables Herbs Main
Course Gluten Wheat Dairy free Eggless British
1.3 kg/3lb Lean Salted Silverside or Brisket, soaked overnight
2 small Onions, quartered
2 sticks Celery , cut into
6 Black Peppercorns
1 Bouquet Garni
18 Baby Carrots
1. Remove the meat from the soaking water, rinse well then tie up to form a neat
2. Place the joint in a large saucepan, add enough water to just cover and bring
slowly to the boil.
3. Stick the cloves into the onion quarters then add to the pan together with
the celery peppercorns and bouquet garni.
4. Reduce the heat
,cover and simmer very gently for 2 hours.
5. Add the carrots and continue to simmer for a further 30 until the carrots are
6. At the end of the cooking time, transfer the beef and carrots to a warmed
serving platter and keep hot.
7. Skim the fat from the surface of the cooking liquor then strain into a clean
saucepan. bring to the boil and continue to boil rapidly to reduce
Serve the meat and
carrots with the reduced liquor.