Beef with Greens
HT MC Madagascan 65mins
Serves 4 Hot Beef Grains Vegetables Main Course Gluten Wheat Dairy free Eggless Madagascar African Africa
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil or Lard
450g/1lb Braising Beef, cut into 2.5cm/1-inch cubes
1 Large Onion, chopped
4 Garlic Cloves, chopped
50g/2oz Fresh Root Ginger, thinly sliced
2 Tomatoes, chopped
450g/1lb Leaf Greens e.g. Spinach, Cabbage, Chard
240ml/8fl.oz. Fresh Beef Stock
1 teasp Dried Green Peppercorns, crushed
450g/1lb Long Grain Rice
Sakay (Hot Pepper Sauce) to taste (optional - check ingredients)
1. Heat the oil or lard in a large saucepan, add the meat and brown on all
2. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger and fry for 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, greens, stock, salt and green pepper , mix well, bring to
the boil then reduce the heat slightly and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Add the rice and enough extra water to cover the mixture by 2.5cm/1-inch,
bring back to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 20
minutes or until the rice is tender, stirring once or twice during the cooking
and adding a little extra water if necessary to prevent it drying out.
5. To serve – transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with a little Sakay and serve
with additional Sakay in a small jug or bowl.
More Madagascan Recipes
Beef/Veal Recipes | General
Beef Prep & Cooking Times |
Overseas Visitors: If you're
more used to measuring ingredients by the cup, we have the most comprehensive
weight to cups conversion table on the net - both solid ingredients and liquids
- so now you can easily convert our recipes to suit your preference.
to go to the chart.