Traditional Scotch Eggs
British 30mins plus
Party Food Buffet
4 Hard Boiled Eggs, cooled
25g/1oz Plain Flour
Salt and Pepper
225g/8oz Pork Sausage
1 Egg, beaten
50g/2oz Dried Breadcrumbs
Vegetable Oil for deep frying
1. Shell the hard boiled eggs and coat each in the flour which has been
seasoned with salt and pepper. Preheat the deep fryer to 170C, 340F.
2. Divide the sausage meat into 4 equal portions and flatten out each
portion roughly into a circle large enough to surround an egg on a floured
3. Place 1 egg in the centre of each sausage meat circle and carefully
mould the sausagemeat around each egg, pressing the edges firmly together to
4. Place the beaten egg in one bowl and the breadcrumbs on a plate, then
dip each covered egg firstly in the beaten egg and then in the breadcrumbs to
thoroughly coat all over.
5. Fry the coated eggs for 7-9 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
6. Drain well on kitchen paper, cool and refrigerate
until ready to serve.
To serve at parties or buffets, double, triple or quadruple the ingredients then
just before serving cut each egg into quarters for bite sized potions.
| Summer Recipes | What's
Main equipment required to make
Deep fat fryer or a saucepan
Key techniques required to make this
– to cover with a thin film of liquid, usually a sauce.